Featured Post

Pardon Our Mess

So, everything has changed and I decided this dumb blog needed to change as well. A complete reboot, y'all. Way too much whining going o...

Friday, September 22, 2023

I just can't with the news anymore.

It occurred to me this morning that there are probably better ways to start the day than scrolling through the national dumpster fire that is our current political discourse perusing the insights of our national news media. Here in Florida, for example, we have Governor Ron DeSantis bragging that he’ll do everything in his power to make it harder to get a fucking Covid vaccine, and his idiotic supporters are all like, “Uh-yup, sign me up for more that!” 


I'll point out that it was almost exactly two years ago that both of my unvaccinated parents, who lived here in Ron Desantis's Florida, died of Covid after contracting the disease at a church potluck. At the time, Ron DeathSantis was following Trump around like his little lap dog, dutifully parroting the lies that Covid was a hoax, and the vaccine was dangerous.


I’ve written before about the far right’s bizarre and increasingly vicious attacks on Dr. Anthony Fauci. These aren’t idle threats by the uber-Nazi Ron DeSantis, as witnessed by the increasingly common public appearances here in Florida by some of his most ardent supporters: Actual nazis. Oh, and have you heard? Slavery was actually good for black people. 

It was then, as I was sitting here shaking my head that the world is going to hell in a hand basket, something happened: I lifted my jaundiced gaze from the flickering headlines on my screen and glanced out the window. 


There was a cardinal sitting on a bush, happily living his best cardinal life. I was sitting in my perfectly fine house, sipping a perfectly fine cup of coffee on a perfectly fine morning. And I was sitting here feeling pissed off that half the world is so fucking stoopid.


And you know what? I decided not to read any more news today. This is why I could never make it as a political blogger. I just don’t have the stamina the firehose of crazy spewing from the GOP.  



* * *


I came across something, purportedly from the Talmud, that seems relevant to this thing called “retirement:” 


“Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly now, love mercy now, walk humbly now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it. 


I find this both practical and oddly comforting. It helps put some shape around a new stage of life that feels shapeless. 


* * *


The former job has been calling. When I left, almost exactly three weeks ago, we all made noises about maybe staying around for part time, even some volunteer work. Then, after I was gone, everything went crazy, the HR director left, the only remaining IT guy left, one of the bigger grant renewals is suddenly on very shaky ground, etcetera and etcetera. The long and short of it is that they’re having trouble hiring at the moment, but are not interested in hiring for part time hours. It would be okay with them if I wanted to work for them for free, as a volunteer. 


I considered it — I do actually care about the program —  but as Drew pointed out: Why should I? They already have volunteers. So far this week I’ve had two Tai Chi classes, one piano lesson, and two in-person meetings. I’ve been more agreeable company than I’ve been in literally decades. Do I really have some compelling need to go work for the psycho-bitch running that place? For free? 



Pardon me, Mr. Scorsese, but what is the character’s motive in this scene…? 


* * *


Today I’m officially attending my first-ever meeting of the program committee for the Humanists of the Treasure Coast (HUMTC.)  


I say “officially” attending because Drew is VP of the group’s Board of Directors, and I’ve eavesdropped on some of the program committee’s meetings in the past. Since retiring, I’ve been nagged into getting off my fat ass gotten some subtle hints that maybe I could step up to the plate more now that I live a life of endless leisure. I imagine it’s a bit like winning the lottery and suddenly finding many worthy, and open, hands. 


And this is worthy of my time. Each Sunday HUMTC puts on a morning program, which is open to the public both in person and by Zoom. Topics cover a range of issues from recent events in the news, politics social and environmental issues, and more. It’s an opportunity for those concerned about the rise of religious extremism and its intrusion into civic law. 


The purpose of today's meeting is to brainstorm on topics for the Sunday programs in the month of October. A lot of thought and discussion goes into determining the program topics each week, and a lot of coordination and effort when we have guest speakers. It’s a very cool group, and I’m pretty psyched to be a part of it. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment