Featured Post

Pardon Our Mess

So, everything has changed and I decided this dumb blog needed to change as well. A complete reboot, y'all. Way too much whining going o...

Friday, September 8, 2023

You're never too old to go clubbing.

Okay, so it ain't Club Med
Sooooo, it turns out I’m an alcoholic. Er, sorry, we don’t use that term anymore. I suffer from “Alcohol Use Disorder.” That’s a fancy way of saying I’ve been in and out of “recovery” for some 15 years now. As an out & proud atheist, I have a long and contentious relationship with the Religion Currently Known As ‘AA’ — I don’t go in for all the “higher power” nonsense — but I’ve come to realize that there is value in knowing and being around people who understand your struggle. People who have walked your path, and who share your burden. 


Because let’s face it: All you well meaning sober people out there? We appreciate your support, we really do, we need you on our recovery teams, we need you pulling for us. 


But here’s something you might not know: If you aren’t genetically predisposed to addiction, you just don’t get it. In fact, sorry to say, if you love someone who *is* genetically predisposed to addiction, it’s likely that you need help and support, too, in part because you just don't get it. (And that's okay. You're "normal." You're not expected to know everything.)


I've had my struggles is all I'm sayin, and I’m happy to say that I’m doing really well these last few years. I’m free of alcohol, I’m not having any cravings, and I’m not doing and saying stoopid shit. Things at home are going well again, and this is a very good thing. Life is good without my old friend alcohol here to fuck things up. 


Anyhoo, fast forward. Someone told me about this place called the Bayshore Club here in Port St Lucie, so yesterday I went to check it out. It’s actually pretty nice, they have an actual clubhouse and they do meetings pretty much all day every day. I’m not much interested in the meetings for their own sake, but it feels like the right time to start “infiltrating” another group of like minded people. 


A place to be, a thing to do. 


In this new world, I have time to fill. I need to develop new routines, find another group to play with, and stay on my path of wellness. This Bayshore Club, whatever it ends up being, could have potential. 

No comments:

Post a Comment