Featured Post

Pardon Our Mess

So, everything has changed and I decided this dumb blog needed to change as well. A complete reboot, y'all. Way too much whining going o...

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Maybe "Just Showing Up" is my higher power?

I have my IOP Zoom group tonight. It's one of those weird things that started about three years ago after the world went into Covid lockdown and it became just too easy to drink all day. This group was supposed to be a 10-week program, and most of the people who show up there are mandated by the court and they have to be. Most people finish the program (because they have to) and then disappear. 

But you don't have to. Once you've finished all of the sessions, you can keep coming to the group for as long as you want. 

Some of us have stayed on, and are still showing up week after week. We call ourselves the "lifers," because while other people come and go from our little group, we're still here. I can't entirely explain why I'm still coming, except that it's one more place to check in, one more place to interact with other people who "get it," one more place I'll be missed if I don't show up. 

Maybe it's just a "former drunk thang," and y'all wouldn't understand. But it's part of my routine now, and I miss it if I don't log on. I feel like I'm letting the other "lifers" down if I don't show up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment