Featured Post

Pardon Our Mess

So, everything has changed and I decided this dumb blog needed to change as well. A complete reboot, y'all. Way too much whining going o...

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Memo to my fellow working stiffs: You've been hoodwinked


Next Sunday I'm doing a short presentation for the Humanists of the Treasure Coast about Mary Harris "Mother" Jones -- the agitator and labor icon from around the turn of the last century. To be honest, I'm not sure how I got roped into doing this lecture because I know almost nothing about her. But having cut my teeth in the unions, having lived some of it, I've become the defacto labor historian of our little group, and as such, I'm the go to guy for Labor Day. 

From the Wiki: 

"Mary Harris "Mother" Jones rose to prominence as a fiery orator and fearless organizer for the Mine Workers during the first two decades of the 20th century. Her voice had great carrying power. Her energy and passion isspired men half her age into action and compelled their wives and daughters to join in the struggle." 

That's all I've got so far, so we should be in good shape for Sunday! 

Look, I know the American work force, collectively speaking, is suffering from Battered Wife Syndrome. Working stiffs in this country have been treated so poorly, for so long, that we don't believe we deserve better. Here's the thing, tho: We do. 

We do deserve better pay, a stronger safety net, and access to healthcare. One of the main reasons I was able to retire a year ago -- a midwest kid who fell off the turnip truck in DC with little more than a high school diploma.  I was fortunate to find myself working under a union contract at age 19, a contract that afforded me a decent living, good health care, and a "defined benefit" pension -- that is, the kind of pension that doesn't run out. 

You don't see these types of benefits much anymore, and living wages? Certainly not in your so-called "right to work" states, more aptly described as "right to work for free" states. Everyone hates unions now, but lemme tell ya something, sonny: You've been hoodwinked, and you deserve better. 


No comments:

Post a Comment